Saturday, May 19, 2007

THE WEEK THAT WAS

A few recent news stories seem to fit with the week's inconjunct (quincunx) aspect between Uranus and Saturn. There was a 150* angle between Uranus at 18* Pisces and Saturn at 18* Leo. This between two planets which represent, in a nutshell, the old and the new, in two signs which have little or no understanding, one for the other.

From 17 May an example of the old and the new coming into conflict:

"In a striking reach across party lines, the White House and key lawmakers agreed Thursday on a sweeping immigration plan to grant legal status to millions of people in the country unlawfully.......
........Almost instantly, the plan brought vehement criticism from both sides of the immigration issue, including liberals who called it unfair and unworkable and conservatives who branded it an overly permissive "amnesty." "

Also on 17 May 2007 the first gay marriages took place in the state of Massachusetts
A new attitude(Uranus) replacing the old (Saturn)? And not before time! I hope that more states follow suit before too long. Yet, on the other side of the coin:
NEW YORK - MAY 18-"Pope Benedict XVI, US President George W. Bush and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have undermined human rights by actively promoting prejudice against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, Human Rights Watch said today in its annual "hall of shame" to mark the International Day Against Homophobia. "


Mark Levine wrote an article this week about Bono's expressions of anger that the G-8 countries have not come close to meeting the pledges for increased aid to Africa made at the Gleneagles Summit two years ago. Even those with the best of intentions of changing old ways need to "raise their game". As Mark Levine says in the last paragraph of his article"

"..........And that we -- Bono, Gore, and all of us fortunate enough to be living in the advanced industrialized countries -- are the main beneficiaries of this system. Only if people see them really risking something to fight a battle that most people fear is impossible to win, will they get off their ass and join the fight. It's time for Bono to get off the stage and hit the barricades, and for the rest of us to follow him."

Another celebrity was also feeling grumpy - I read that Bob Geldorf had criticised Al Gore for arranging the Live Earth concerts due to take place this summer, saying: "But why is (Gore) actually organizing them? To make us aware of the greenhouse effect? Everybody's known about that problem for years. We are all (expletive) conscious of global warming." I beg to differ with Bob Geldorf. He should come to live in middle America for a while. "Everybody" does not (expletive) know there's a problem.

Mars moving into Aries and forming a trine to my natal Pluto may have raised my blood pressure on Tuesday evening as we watched part of the Academy of Country Music Awards on TV. My liking for country music is fading fast. Living in the USA has opened my eyes to a part of the country scene I'd been unaware of from my old vantage point in the UK. There's an attitude among many country stars and fans which I find disturbing.

During Tuesday's show, Tim McGraw sang a song dedicated to America's fallen heroes, presumably in Iraq, but arguably in any conflict.
An excerpt from the lyrics:
"You’re reading this, my mama’s sittin there Look’s like I only got a one way ticket over here I sure wish I could give you one more kiss War was just a game we played when we were kids Well I’m layin down my gun and hanging up my boots I’m up here with God and we’re both watching over you

So lay me down In that open field out on the edge of town And know my soul Is where my mama always prayed that it would go And if you’re reading this I’m already home."


Whilst I can see that songs like this might be a comfort to family and friends of those who have died, and I hesitate to criticise, I do wish more country singers would follow the example of the Dixie Chicks and protest strongly about that DAMNED war, rather than seeming to mawkishly accept and wallow in it.

At the CMT awards a few weeks ago ( how many awards shows does country music need?) host Jeff Foxworthy called out to the audience that, though others may look on country music fans as rednecks, "We get up and go to work. We get up and go church. We get up and go to war!!" Yes, the first two are fine. The last one isn't something to brag about these days, in my humble opinion. I'd best leave it there.

At least two unexpected (Uranus) events occured this week: Jerry Falwell, TV evangelist died, aged 73, and Melinda Doolittle was voted off American Idol. Those two news item do not sit comfortably together. I was more saddened by the latter than the former. In Melinda's case, I suspect viewers, confident that she'd sail through to the final, failed to vote in sufficient numbers to ensure that she did so. As far as Mr Falwell is concened, I have no respect for anyone who twists a valuable message of love and compassion to further his own ends - as far as I can see, that's all Mr Falwell ever sought to do.

Not a comfortable news week!

No comments: