Thursday, April 02, 2009

100 Hours


A project called 100 Hours of Astronomy begins today - read about it in full here.




"Have you heard the word? In celebration of the International Year of Astronomy, there's a worldwide event happening that will begin on April 2 and last through April 5, 2009. Public outreach activities, live science centers, research observatory webcasts and sidewalk astronomy events are only a small part of what you'll discover when the "100 Hours of Astronomy Cornerstone Project" gets underway. Want to find out more about what's happening? Then step inside…
What's it all about? One of the goals of "100 Hours of Astronomy" is to get as many people as possible to look through a telescope - just as Galileo did 400 years ago"

How about astrologers organising a project of their own -
"A 100 Hours of Astrology" ?

Why not?

As my own nod in the direction of astronomy I've just ordered a book, and actually it's a book for children. (Maybe I'm entering my second childhood!) An illustrated comic page on Google Image was the attraction (see below).

I slipped into astrology fairly painlessly, but when it comes to astronomy I tend to flounder. After the Moon and Venus I get lost trying to find stuff. Starting with elementary material which is a little bit different could be a good idea for me.
So I shall go stargazing with Jack Horkheimer.


Jack's website, with downloadable videos, is here .

This is what attracted me. It's from 1998, so the astronomical detail isn't current, but the content, and the way it's presented is interesting.

6 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I was trying to find a simple guide to the stars and gave up the search, T, the most useful I've ever seen. A lot of good it is to us now!!
7 days of astronomy, wow!!
XO
WWW

Twilight said...

WWW ~~~ Lol! But it's never too late to gaze at the stars. :-)
I keep hoping we shall find ourselves somewhere really really open and flat one clear night, with no city lights for miles, so that I can have a really good search around.

anthonynorth said...

Education as fun like this can be good - as long as the message isn't subsumed totally by the fun.

Twilight said...

AN ~~~ "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...."
:-)

R J Adams said...

The Cat-Goddess referred to was Bast, daughter of Ra, the Sun God. She was quite a lass (or puss) and was just one of a number of Moon Goddesses. In fact, being depicted as a sensuous and slender lady with the head of a cat, she was quite a dancer, and was known as the Goddess of music and dance, as well as a fertility Goddess. Bast had something of a reputation, having had three husbands and sexual affairs with every Egyptian God and Goddess. She was known to be bisexual.

It makes you wonder what the cat on old Jack's shoulder is thinking of as it stares at the Moon, doesn't it?

Twilight said...

RJ ~~~ Oh my ! Those Egyptians! Thank you for the extra information.

I wonder if her whiskers got in the way. ;-)