Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Rising Tide Lifts all Clichés

Well-worn phrases known as clichés are abhorred by the literary elite (and my husband). The word cliché came from the French language. In printing, a cliché was a printing plate cast from movable type, also called a stereotype. When letters were set one at a time, it made sense to cast a phrase used repeatedly, as a single slug of metal. "Cliché" came to mean such a ready-made phrase. Many authorities say that the French word "cliché" comes from the sound made when the molten stereotyping metal is poured onto the matrix to make a printing plate, including the statement that it is a variant of cliquer, "to click", though some authorities express doubt. (Wikipedia)

My own view on clichés is similar to that of British author Evelyn Waugh: "I think to be oversensitive about clichés is like being oversensitive about table manners". Occasional use of the wrong spoon or fork, or an accidental slurp of the soup can be forgiven, the offender might even be baiting the table manners police or cliché police!

Altitude is determined by attitude, I've no axe to grind, so I'll get off on the right foot, try to make an astrological killing, cliché-wise. Our zodiac signs are ripe for the picking. Let's get to it... hot to trot? Alrighty then!

Aries~ gunning for a fight - quick off the mark - eat my dust - skating on thin ice - when the going gets tough the tough get going - don't jump to conclusions

Taurus~ you can never be too rich, too blonde or too thin - what's cookin' good lookin'? - it's not over 'til the fat lady sings - strong as an ox

Gemini~ shootin' the breeze - put your money where your mouth is - talk the hind leg off a donkey - the writing's on the wall

Cancer~ the hand that rocks the cradle - home is where the heart is -
mi casa, su casa.

Leo~ the world's a stage - the show must go on - all dressed up and nowhere to go - glowing like a good deed in a naughty world - too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Virgo~ pure as the driven snow - leaving no stone unturned - mind your p's and q's - getting your ducks in a row

Libra~ smooth operator - give a little, take a little - on equal footing - but on the other hand

Scorpio~ scream bloody murder - no guts no glory - glass half-empty - keep your eyes peeled for trouble - always darkest before the storm

Sagittarius ~ the more the merrier - bitten off more than he can chew - hit the road - glass half-full

Capricorn~ lay down the law - time to pay the piper - oldie but goodie - a penny saved is a penny earned

Aquarius~ free as a bird - comparing apples to oranges - get down to the nitty-gritty - out where the buses don't run - born before his time

Pisces~ miracles will never cease! - out of the blue - there's something fishy about that - third time's a charm - he's sleeping it off.

Now, let me be clear about this - I know it was a half-baked idea, but it's right up my alley and I felt like rolling with the flow.

And, by the by - don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.....

9 comments:

mike said...

Good ones, Twilight! I can tell you know your stereotypes...LOL. Regarding the half-empty or half-full glass...maybe the glass was too big (or small) to begin with.

"Yeah, the door is this way, pal."

Twilight said...

mike ~ :-) I (ahem) just had to put two and two together...glad it was in your wheelhouse.'

LB said...

Twilight ~ This Libra has been known to say "On the other hand . . ." a time or two.:)

Twilight said...

LB ~ And probably also: "what goes around comes around"....and maybe you "wait for the other shoe to drop" too. :-)

LB said...

Twilight ~ Yep. Even if I haven't spoken those exact words out loud, I've thought them.

Sonny G said...


I waffle between a penny saved is a penny earned and on the other hand:)

gotta pass your post over to my daughter.. she'll love it.

Twilight said...

Sonny ~ Hmmm - You're a good egg. The more the merrier!

mike (again) said...

LB - hmmm...internet seems full of Libra-esque sayings:

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."

"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem."

"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."

"In case of doubt, make it sound convincing."

"The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem."

"I may have my faults, but being wrong isn't one of them."

"Get forgiveness now - tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty."

"Everything is possible; just not too probable."

"Don't take me literally."

"Don't use force; use a bigger hammer."

LB said...

mike ~ Of the expressions you've listed, I think my favorite is: "I may have my faults, but being wrong isn't one of them." It reminds me of some of the conversations my husband and I have had over the years.

***To be fair***, I'm probably wrong at least some of the time.:)