Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Weird Food Quirks


26 British Food Quirks That Brits Don’t Realise Are Weird





There's weird and then there's WEIRD!

Were I feeling enterprising (I'm not), I'd try to make a video titled:
26 American Foods Quirks That USAians Don't Realise are Weird. That'd be a huge task though, because each of the 50 states is likely to have its own set of quirks to add to those that are common. However, living as I do in south-west Oklahoma I can name a few I've found to be weird in this particular region:
Sausage gravy - that largely tasteless white sauce that looks and tastes something akin to wallpaper paste.

Fried Okra

Fried pies(!!).

Chicken Salad - No, it's not a few slices of chicken with garden salad but a concoction similar to potato salad, where the chicken is cut into pieces and dowsed with mayo....or something.

The way beef is cut for pot roast - it's cut "with the grain" instead of "against the grain", resulting in multiple stringy, often overly chewy stands in an otherwise potentially delicious dish.

Bacon flavoured ice cream (yikes!)

And, speaking of bacon - there's only streaky bacon here which, when it's fried, is a definite danger to the one's front teeth or dental crowns! I wonder what happens to the back bacon, so beloved in the UK? I've seen something like it sold as "Canadian", but not in any great quantity.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

One word "Poutine". Good gawd Canada!

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ LOL! Yes, husband has spent time in Canada in the past, and has described that particular regional delicacy to me. :-O